Pomegranate Orange Salad
December 23, 2014 | western
A delicious and healthy salad perfect for winter or a special Christmas dinner. This salad is topped with fresh oranges, pomegranate arils, sliced almonds, chopped avocado, and feta cheese.
- 7-8 cups chopped lettuce (I used an Artisan Blend), arugula would also be great
- 3 regular oranges
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Juice from 1 large orange (~4 tablespoons)
- 3/4 – 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Pinch of ground pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper, optional
1. Chop the lettuce, wash, and dry.
2. Slice the peels off of the oranges and then cut into slices or smaller pieces. You can substitute clementines, but will need to increase the amount.
3. Remove the peel and pit of the avocado.
4. Toss the lettuce, oranges, pomegranate seeds, and avocado.
5. In a small skillet over medium-low heat place the almonds. Stir constantly for a few minutes until lightly toasted. This is optional, but adds so much flavor.
6. In a blender or food processor, blend all of the dressing ingredients together. The dressing will be runny, but it adheres to the lettuce really well! Increase the flavorings to personal preference – this may be a little more orange or perhaps some more honey…etc.
7. If you are eating the salad right away, toss it with the dressing, toasted almonds, and feta cheese.
8. If you are eating it later, store the dressing separately and toss right before eating. If the dressing is added too early it tends to get soggy and not taste so well. Add the almonds and feta with the dressing.
9. The cayenne pepper is optional, but a fun kick — you can increase the amount if desired.